Wednesday 28 April 2010

Vestiges Park


This is the entrance to Vestiges Park. This was an area of wasteland in Glasgow which was utilised for a sculpture exhibition as part of Glasgow International Festival of Visual Arts. Going in the entrance there are paths within the park which is in the shape of a head - or so the leaflet would appear to show. It is hard to tell within the undergrowth. Let me take you in.


The subtlety of this one made it a favourite with me. There is another image of these mirror sculptures on my Flickr page.


My favourite exhibit was the glove museum. It was a little hut with a rubbery hand as door handle.


Inside was a display of gloves which this image does not do justice to. See anything unusual about this next one?

Sometimes strange noises come up at you from under the ground somewhere. One exhibit in particular called The Thought Fox has a humerous and inventive narrative with it. The sculpture can be seen in the image below but it is only a part of the exhibit.

There are many more images of some of the other exhibits on Flickr. They don't do the place justice particularly those exhibits which also use sound. 

It's a lot of fun roaming around the piece of ground not knowing what you will see next. I found that a more fun way of exploring than using the guide. When we had come full circuit we found a lot of small plastecine figures and some more plastecine. We learned that these were left over from a children's event but we felt we wanted to add our figures. 

Here is my sculpture.

Striking, ain't it ;-)

I hope you've enjoyed a little visit to Vestiges Park with me. If you want to learn more about the exhibition or the artists or to visit it before it closes then go the website at http://www.lowsalt.org.uk/vestigespark.html




6 comments:

  1. Love it! I also love your little sculpture... it's so lifelike... though I can't help wondering what one of those is doing on a tree...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting stuff at GI. Tramway stuff worth checking out. My fave is Fiona Tan at GOMA. Like the wee bird - possibly a duck!? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a cross between a duck and a pterodactyl. Not like the other very modern duck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a strange sort of place, those mirror sculptures look very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect that the exhibition is not my 'cup of tea' but it does look interesting and perhaps that is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, thanks for showing these pics! I'd love to visit this place it looks fab. Your recent holiday pics are just lovely too... I'm very jealous of Irene & Pauline!! x

    ReplyDelete