Thursday 12 August 2010

Shy Piper


While the Edinburgh urban piper is easy to spot due to its bold and gregarious stance in the centre of the town - often on Princes Street or the High Street, the Glasgow urban piper is a much shyer creature. If you want to spot one of these you have to follow the sound and it may be found piping its tune from behind a bush in an urban garden.... 

This was taken near Charing Cross train station in Glasgow. He was, indeed hard to spot and it took some time to catch sight of him.



I love the light at dusk when it's not quite dark but not really day either. These photos were taken with my LX3 compact. This is Glasgow's Mitchell Library. I have taken many photos of it in passing.


This is The Beresford. It was a hotel at one point I think and now it's luxury self catering apartments for people on holiday. It's a very beautiful building and one of my favourites.

5 comments:

  1. The sound of bagpipes is something I'm not keen on.... sorry :-( so I might have had to shove him right into that bush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the sound of the bagpipes myself Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only all pipers were shy. Agoraphobic even. That would be ideal.

    Didn't the Beresford used to be a student residence? It is indeed a fine building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid we used to live upstairs from a piper.....nice bloke but I thought he strangled kittens for a living!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shot and title for the shy piper. I like the middle shot, I'm with you as I also love the light at dusk.

    ReplyDelete