Thursday 11 February 2010

Seeking signs of spring

I was in a very springlike mood this afternoon when I went out in search of a pint of milk and some signs that spring was approaching. The first thing I found was in the frozen pond.


Not very spring like but pretty, nonetheless. 

The poor ducks and other birds were inclined to mob passersby with bread as there still is not a lot water that isn't frozen. I hadn't seen so many of them here before. 



After I searched and searched I saw a couple of tiny buds on a branch that looked like they might be pushing the tiniest bit of new growth. I looked a many branches before I saw this. I did photograph it with my macro filters but not very successfully without having a tripod. 

The other sign of spring I saw was the behaviour of the pigeons though I have to confess, I've seen them trying to charm the girl pigeons all through the winter. 



It would seem for now that my belief that spring is on its way remains an article of faith rather than something I can find much evidence for here yet. It remains bitterly cold but the sunny afternoons we've been having are cheering though I still do envy those of you across Europe who are seeing the spring well on its way.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, especially the frozen feather. Spring will come, although it's taking its time even here in the Mediterranean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is life without hope (and faith!)

    We have some Snowdrops coming through, perhaps a picture tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete