Thursday 20 May 2010

Somewhere I'd never been before #3


I've never been up this lane. Actually, I've still never walked through it but this image caught my eye as I passed. I snapped it quickly with all the wrong settings in place and kind of liked the slightly over-exposed look. 

I have a few photos from places I'd never been before today. The one below is of bags hanging up in a shop that sells a lot of retro clothes and accessories. It's called Tatty Bon and you can find out more about it at http://www.tattybon.co.uk/ if you're in Glasgow and might fancy a visit. It was a really nice shop with some amazing stuff. The two women were really nice and if you're looking in, thanks for letting me take photos.



Another place I went to in my wanders with my friend was another retro shop/bookshop on the High Street in Glasgow. There are two near each other and we went into both. Sadly I didn't get the name of the shop. The man in there took his bakelite Viewmaster out of the window so that I could photograph it. 



What a trip back in time that was! These are from the 1950s and we had one identical to this one in our house. My dad was at sea and we also had some relatives in the US. I think ours came from there either via my father or a relative. I loved it. If you don't know what they are, you get these discs for them with a circle of slide type images around them. When you look through the eye-pieces you can see the images in 3D. I hadn't looked through one of these for years - many thanks to the man who brought it out for me.


What a great day it's been. I cycled into town to meet my friend and visited cafes and shops. I'm pleased with myself for getting out on the bike again. According to my cyclethingy on my iPhone, I cycled 5 miles today and climbed 500 feet. Only a week of cycling three or four times a week has really improved my stamina and how far I'm managing to get up the hills without getting off and pushing it. Now for a quiet evening in and a rest. 

Oh, and I thought I'd post a pic of a flower that was on the table in a cafe we visited - just for good measure - especially since it was yet another place I'd never been before.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fine day :-) I love that shot at the top - and the Viewmaster is so nostalgic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the top shot, tremendous feel.

    I used to have a Viewmaster when I was a kid, I think it was my Grandfather's originally and fascinating to use in those days devoid of technology!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cycling won't put strain on your joints... apart from your knees lol... so it's a good way to exercise. Your Iphone cycle thingy reminded me of Steve, as he's been walking round with a pedometer and keeps telling me how far he's walked and how many calories he's used!

    ReplyDelete