Monday 5 October 2009

Difficult decisions



It's not a very exciting photo today. My hospital appointment dominated my day. I went to Rheumatology to have my hands and feet examined. I was shown the joints in my hand through ultrasound. I was shown a lot of damage in some of the joints and a lot of inflammation. I didn't really need an ultrasound to show me that my hands are inflamed and joints damaged but it was depressing. I am being offered some options I find worrying. One is injection of steroids into the joints. The other is a drug called sulphasalazine. I have reactions to everything and am concerned about the long term side effects. Already, with medication I'm on, I feel like the capacity to make properly informed choices diminishes with the amount of pharmaceuticals that you swallow every day. I don't really remember what it was like to feel like I have energy, be pain free and feel fully well. That's just a fact of life that I mostly manage to live with but some days it gets to me. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had steroid injections into joints or who takes sulphasalazine. You can email me at impoftheyard@gmail.com. My decisions won't be based on other people's experiences but it would help to hear about them.

Now for a cup of tea and watching some nonsense on telly. I hope your week started better than mine.

6 comments:

  1. I wish I could help, but I know you'll make the right decision for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have just sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not a good start to the week and I can't offer you any experiences, it must be a tough decision to make. But I've a feeling you'll make the right one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am afraid I can't offer more than 'Tea and Sympathy' and a little empathy. Eighteen months of ME has been quite enough for me. I struggle enough with a total lack of energy and a few aches and pains. Which ever treatment you take, I hope it brings you some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so difficult, especially since only you can make the decision. Sorry, all I can offer is sympathy and knowing how alone you can feel coping with chronic illness, after 28 years of living with ME. I hope the week improves for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its so shit being tired and in pain all the time and I would imagine its very tempting to try anything to help that, I know I would want to (surprised to find 2 other people with M.E. have already commented - we should start some sort of sick and tired club!) and i really empathise. Sometimes it worth trying something for a few months to gauge the effects and benefits? When I'm being persuaded into trying something new I do as much research as possible and try to make an informed decision. Not always easy though, especially when your judgement can be affected by how much pain you are in :( Whatever you decide I really hope you get some relief soon. Thinking of you sweetie, best wishes xxxx

    ReplyDelete