Saturday 14 November 2009

Winter venison stew



When it's cold and damp it's nice to do the domestic things. I really enjoy cooking when I'm in the mood and it's much easier to be in the mood when there is someone to cook for. I don't tend to follow recipes though I read them for inspiration. As a result I sometimes make something tasty and totally forget what I did with it. I thought it might be good to write down my recipe here and then you can try it if you like and I can go back and see what I did. Tesco sells the diced venison relatively cheaply - £2.99 for 300g and that's what I used.

Ingredients
300g diced venison
1 small red onion
1 large leek
2 large carrots
Some chopped kale or cabbage
1/3 of a medium turnip
mixed dried beans (soaked overnight and almost cooked)
2 large cloves garlic
1 green chili
1 heaped teaspoon cumin
1 tin tomatoes
olive oil
1 oxo cube
1 tablespoon Bisto low salt gravy granules
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Chop all the veg. Heat olive oil in wok/saucepan and add chopped onion. Allow to soften and then add leek, chopped garlic, chili and cumin seeds. Cook for a few minutes then add venison and brown. Once browned add some water. Now add carrot, turnip, beans, kale, tomatoes, stock cube and bisto. Cook for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. About half an hour before the end of cooking stir in the balsamic vinegar. We had it with brown basmati rice. It was really yummy! Would be nice with beef too.

Here is the lovely man checking all your blogs on his iPhone.



It's been a really lovely weekend so far and it's not over yet. I have some apple left and small apple tarts are coming soon :-)

6 comments:

  1. The stew was very delicious! It has indeed been a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe sounds good, and I've copied it into Word. Maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First Apple Turnovers. Now venison stew!!

    Now I am really hungry!!

    Have you told SD how lucky he is? Or are you saving that bombshell?...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't follow recipes! My daughter got so fed up with asking me and other family members for her favourites and us all just looking vague that she gave us all blank notebooks for Xmas last year with strict instructions to write the recipes down.....she's going to compile a family cookbook and get them printed! (and I probably won't follow those either!) Like the sound of this stew though....real comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love venison and that stew sounds delicious. I never follow a recipe either, and often I change what I've decided to do as I'm going along. That's why my blogs are so useful to me, so I can check what I did when I want to cook the same thing again!

    ReplyDelete