Monday 30 November 2009

Domestic Monday



I was very tired today due to poor sleep and night-time asthma. As a result, I've been home all day although it was a beautifully sunny day. I hope I sleep better tonight.

This loaf was part of my handiwork today and very nice it was too. I also made a delicious soup but I'm afraid I'd eaten some and packed away more in the freezer before it occurred to me to photograph it. I'll tell you what was in it though.

Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash soup with Chickpeas


Ingredients
1 butternut squash
1 sweet potato
1 tin chickpeas or chickpeas cooked from dry
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 leek
1 small red onion
Cayenne pepper or 1 red chilli
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons cumin
Vegetable bouillon or stock
Juice of one lemon

I cooked all these together and blended them once the vegetables were cooked. It was quite spicy and really tasty. I do not add salt to much of my cooking or, if I do, I use Lo Salt, due to suffering hypertension. I don't always use vegetable stock for the same reason but I find that adding some spices and using lemon juice can substitute for salt to an extent. It was very tasty and so was the bread.

Cooking so much soup is part of my armoury against being overweight. It's nutritious and filling. The bread was really tasty and making such a large and yummy loaf was a bit of an error as I'm tempted to keep on munching it. Ah well, at least I've had no pudding...

Hope your week started well.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh! That looks good! I hope you have a lovely sleep tonight x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what to have for tea tonight.....I just happen to have a butternut squash and a couple of sweet potatoes left over from the weekend, I'll report back! Hope you had a better night last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread looks wonderful and the soup sounds delicious! Hope you've had a better night and are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bread looks wonderful! Home made soup and bread. Life doesn't get much better!

    Hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete