Tuesday 19 January 2010

Old house



I didn't take any pictures today so I'm cheating. Here's one from yesterday. This little street in the West end of Glasgow is where I lived for four years from the age of 18. The top floor and attic of the building on the left was where I had a bedsit. My window was the little attic skylight on the left side. I remember this flat with a great deal of affection. There were eight rooms - a couple with their own kitchen upstairs. I shared a small kitchen with one person and there was a big kitchen for the four rooms downstairs.

They were bedsits and the landlord decided who moved in but there was a period when a lot of us there got on really well and spent a lot of time together. A couple of the people I met while living there are still close friends. It was a fun time and, for me, a difficult time as my mother died when I was 19 and few of the people the same age had lost a parent. The overwhelming feeling I have about the place is an affection for it though. There are many good memories.

I'm off to Dundee tomorrow for a couple of days. I'm looking forward to seeing people and having alternative photos to take.

5 comments:

  1. It's good to have a place with fond memories. Wish I could come to Dundee with you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely when places stir up good memories. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though it was a good place to live. Have a good trip to Dundee and take lots of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great trip.....I see you've already been reminded about the camera......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I owned a scruffy little flat on the Isle of Man from the age of 21 but I am afraid to say that it held no fond memories for me. I eventually let it for a few years and then sold it when it paid for a new horse trailer and nice mountain bike!!

    That was the best bit of the whole episode....

    One of my cousins is a Doctor in the Dundee Drug and Alcohol Unit if you become desperate....!!!! ☺

    Have a good trip, looking forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete