Monday 25 January 2010

Old photos scanned from negatives



I haven't been taking photos today but I've been playing with a new toy - a USB negative scanner. I have a scanner and it has a negative attachment but I rarely use it as it is a bit awkward to use. The USB scanner does not provide top quality but it's very small and easy to use to scan a lot of images at once. I also really like the peculiar effects it has on the edges and the colours.

The photo above was taken in Heidelberg, as far as I remember. It was around 1990 when I spent some time in Germany visiting a friend. It was taken with an old Olympus Trip. The camera was old even at that time. It was one of the ones with the light meter round the lens and you focussed by judging the distance. I took many photos with it.

Here is one from the same time period taken of Newhaven Harbour in Edinburgh.




I've been posting more pictures on Flickr as I get through scanning the negatives. It is possible that I have mislabelled some of the places in Germany as it is so long ago so if you see an error then do correct it.

I'm tired after all my travels in the last few days so I'm enjoying a quiet evening at home. Hope your week has started well.

3 comments:

  1. They're good - I like the effects too :-) Enjoy the rest of your evening x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these too, and that's one of the good things about old photos - the random effects of age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to have missed so many posts this week, so have just been catching up. It sounds as though you've had a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete