Friday 11 December 2009

Thursday excursions



Here's my lovely cousin - we share a first name and much else besides. We are resting my aching feet in a corner of Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum which was made for me - and the under fives. It's the bit with all the noses and eyes you can try on.

The Glasgow Art Galleries is good for a visit and has a lot for children but sadly, the exhibitions seem dumbed down since my childhood. There are very short descriptions with no big words and if you look at the picture below, in the wildlife section they are showing us what happens to Scottish wildlife by putting a picture of Baxter's Royal Game soup in the exhibit. Is this really necessary?




Even as a six year old I preferred more meaty information and exhibits (if you'll pardon the pun!)

It's been a lovely couple of days. We even did a bit of communing with squirrels but sadly, we conned them as we had no grub.




Now it's the weekend and I'll be off to see the lovely man and a few other people in Auld Reekie. Looking forward to it! Hope you all have a great weekend.

7 comments:

  1. My colleagues are now wondering why I'm laughing... How do I explain that it's because of a blog, a museum exhibit and a tin of soup...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely with you on this one - but then we went to school for anothr half hour a day compared with kids now. How much teaching time does that add up to over a school career? A lot methinks - but a tin of soup? I hope you looked closely to make sure that it wasn't tomato!

    Joking aside, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do get the impression in a modern museum that it's all about instant gratification and getting you into the museum shop/cafe as soon as humanly possible. Have a fantabbydozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am honoured to be the featured model of the day!! Of course you know I agree with you on the sad dumbing down of museum exhibits, and it was bizarre having that Royal Game soup there..... and so many bits and pieces in the Egyptiam room not even labeled at all....weird juxtapositioning of things....yeah.... HOWEVER...for me, just being in that FABULOUS building again for the first time since I was a kid was wonderful. Thank you again for being my guide and I hope we didn't tire you out too much! Till next week....love Irene xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid (and the young Victoria was on the throne), museums were so stuffy but still fascinating to me. It is good that they are made more interesting these days but some are so simple, they fail to inform.

    Slightly confused by the tin of my favourite 'Baxters' but there we are, not an uncommon occurrence...!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on this. Children need to have big and complicated words given to them, how else are they going to learn what they mean. As for the soup... ??? I think your cousin is wearing my boots, but in a different colour. They are sooo comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan - the boots are by Rocket Dog!

    ReplyDelete